Following the Finchers

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Day 9 - Worship, Part 1

We told the kids they didn't have to go to the Chinese church, although I hoped they would. They chose to stay home with Amy while Sandy and went to church with Jon. So they played basketball at the school playground during the morning. The Taiwan Christian church meets in a converted apartment in the second floor down by the park and the market we visited yesterday. The Pagels and Edwards families live much closer to the church than the Ralls', so we took a taxi.

Arriving at the church, several church members welcomed us and told us their names. I met two other Davids. Their friendliness made us feel right at home. Jon had warned us that we might not be able to participate at all, because everything was in Chinese. But the first song was "Everyday" by Hillsongs, so we were off to a good start. The praise band included a female leader (Jen-Jen, who can speak some English), two female singers, a female keyboard player, and Chad Edwards playing guitar.

Within 30 seconds of singing, Sandy was crying. Singing along in English, we immediately recognized the powerful joy and enthusiasm of the leaders and the Christians. They sang about six songs total, half English imports (Blessed be the Lord God Almighty, God and God alone, Everyday) and half Chinese written. The preacher was "Joe," who delivered a message from Daniel and 1 Kings. Jon translated some for us, but we didn't really know what was going on most of the time. The sermon was followed by communion, and then a time of teaching on the topic of eldership. After the service was over, believers joined one another in fellowship and encouragement while various meetings took place. I met the mother and brother of Sophia, one of our CCCB students. I was blessed also by the testimony of the worship leader. She truly has a heart of praise.

Going to church in another culture is a good way to see shortcomings in your own church. Several American church practices became offensive to me after seeing how these Chinese believers do church:

1. Why do we have a dedicated, "holy" communion table in America? How many children have been scolded for touching the table? People are so protective of the holy furniture in church. The Chinese church celebrated communion on a folding table. Not only that, but they didn't set the table up until time for the Lord's Supper. We finished singing a song, then while the congregation was seated, two men came forward: one with the table, one with the trays. They set the elements up in 15 seconds. After we were done partaking, the same men had the whole thing moved in another 15 seconds. Following church, they sat around the same table having a meeting.

Can someone tell me where in the New Testament we find a sanctified Supper table?

2. Speaking of communion, why do we even care about special servers? I suspect in America we started the practice of having servers to give the deacons something official to do during church. The only benefit I see to this is now we can argue about who is and isn't qualified to be a server. Women? Probably not. Teenagers? Maybe if they're old enough. Dress code? Depends on what the complainers will say. How do the Chinese do it? Come up when you're ready and get your own. Taking communion isn't an automatic part of an assembly line for them. They prepare, make the effort to come forward, take it back to their chairs, then return the cup when done. But how could we have communion that way for more than 50 people? Easy: multiple stations around the auditorium. Folding tables aren't that expensive. But won't it take too long? Two hours isn't too long to be in church. I didn't feel bored for a minute, and I don't know Chinese at all.

3. How often in communion are we off in our own little worlds? Examine myself, prepare myself, have my own cup, and my own piece of bread. Sometimes when I'm preparing to play piano during the communion time at our church in Moberly, I will sit and look at everyone in church, just to see who is there, smile at them, and "recognize the body". I'm surprised how many people give me strange looks, as if to say, "What do you think you're doing looking at me." But I've never considered doing what I saw today. One person brought communion to another person, offering words of peace and a hug. Why can't I do that in America during church? Oh yeah, because I have to remain seated and the servers are in my way.

4. Once I was preaching in a church when a lady brought a 44 oz. soda from QuikTrip. She sucked it down during my sermon. I thought if it kept her awake, it was no big deal. In fact, I was a little jealous. After church, you would have thought that she had profaned the holy temple to hear some people talk . . . "Did you see that big drink she had in church? What was she thinking?" Maybe they were jealous, too. At Taiwan Christian Church, they have a water cooler in the sanctuary. It even dispenses hot water. And they have tea bags if you need a little caffeine buzz. Problem? Not that I can see. And I didn't find one person sleeping during church.

5. On the topic of creature comforts, why is church furniture designed to be so uncomfortable? Probably to keep you awake (since we know it's unChristian to drink anything during church). Now this church had padded chairs, which was no big advancement. But I had to be impressed by the sofa on the back wall.

Some people sat on it during church. A few people gathered on it for after church fellowship. Now this is a concept we have to work on in America. It's 12:00 p.m. and church has just let out. In America, people are racing for the exits. In Taiwan, they're sitting and standing around having a conversation. A man is handing out gum to keep the kids quiet. Some are drinking water and tea. The kids are bragging about their crafts from children's church. My wife is holding a baby. Strangers are conversing with me. Hugs are being passed from shoulder to shoulder. And I'm jealous of these people who have time and the desire to continue in community as long as possible before they have to leave.

6. Scripture reading is an important part of Biblical worship. Most churches do far too little of it. My personal practice has been to have singers on our praise team read Scripture, or to read Scripture myself as the worship leader. Occasionally I will create a responsive reading for everyone in the congregation to read together, but that's always a roll of the dice to see if everyone can stay together and read the right parts.

Imagine my surprise when during the sermon, everyone starts reading Scripture. The preacher tells them where to go in the text, and they just start reading it out loud. We couldn't pull this off in America for many reasons. Too many different versions, too many lazy Christians, too many big words. They read Daniel 1 & 2 as a church. I found a dozen words in the first chapter that would trip up the average high school graduate in America. And yet these people read it, word for word, with enthusiasm. And then one time, the preacher had the men and women alternate verse to verse (making it much easier for me to follow along and giving them a little bit of a break). Very impressive. Kudos to the leadership of this church to develop a hunger for the public reading of God's word. Again, I'm jealous.

Next Time: Day 9 - Worship, Part 2 (Let's see if the English-speakers are as impressive as the Chinese)