Following the Finchers

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Day 5 (Wednesday) – Beach Bums

Now this is what vacation is all about. I slept until 8 am, then spent some time at the Rec Center catching up on my Internet, drinking coffee, and having prayer time. It was time to do some laundry, so I volunteered to go wash and dry. The kids spent most of the day at the beach, playing in the sand.

Mike got a bad sunburn, so pray that he won’t feel too bad the rest of the week.

I watched Alex and Devin from the outdoor pool to the indoor pool. I volunteered them to go to the indoor pool so I could use my pocket PC on the Internet there. It was neat to chat with some people at Central while sitting next to the pool. I only felt a little guilty.

But for the whole afternoon, the kids were working on their own sand fort. They got chewed out a little by the resort staff for digging so much sand up into piles (They are a little strict here, but I won’t talk about that now.) Here are the results of what they worked on all afternoon.

Anna is building a volcano.


Adam is working on some kind of castle.


Alex would rather just swim in his lifejacket (here with Devin).


Their final product:

I’m not sure what to call it, but they sure had fun building it.

If you haven’t looked on the website, here are what the units look like (this one is right next to ours).


We’ve really been eating well this week. Sandy and Dezi have gone all out to make some of our families’ favorite foods. Sandy made baked potatoes and sausage-rice casserole for lunch. Dezi had beef and noodles with other goodies for supper.

We finished out the evening at the playground, playing a little badminton and horseshoes. By the time 8:30 rolled around, we were all pretty wiped out and basically out of gas. We sat down on the couch to watch Gary Smalley on TBN, but it was only a few minutes until Sandy was asleep. So I wrote my blog while she slept and Gary talked about the importance of memorizing God's word to help improve relationships. Not a bad way to finish the day.

Tomorrow: Boating on the lake