Following the Finchers

Monday, May 30, 2005

Day 10 - The Longest Day, Part 1

Sandy and I wished each other happy anniversary at 12:00 am and I started the timer on how long our anniversary will last. I think it's 37 hours long, but I get a headache trying to figure it out.

Adam and Joshua were up by 6:30, but the rest of the kids stayed in bed until about 7:15. We planned to take it very easy on the final day: buy some souvenirs, go out for lunch, get packed up. We got everything piled up near the door and counted five suitcases, six carry-on bags, and a stroller. Piece of cake. Anna had her braids pulled out, leaving her hair nice and wavy.


Anna has kept a little journal for the week that I wanted to share with you. (spelling corrections with Anna's permission)
5/21/05: I went to the airpot! It took awiyal (awhile)! My ears papt (popped)! I evin hade gum!
5/23/05: I sleeped along time. I woched (watched) t.v. I got to eat on the airplane.
5/26/05: We went on the rofe (roof). We aet spgetey (spaghetti). We went to the tolest (tallest) belding (building) in the world.
5/28/05: We plad (played) with the pagls. I played with Bethaine.
5/29/05: We winte (went) to chines church! I got to play a murcu (maraca)! It was fun!
5/30/05: We went on the subway! We went to brgrking (Burger King)! We went on a taiks (taxi)!

Jon told us their favorite place for buying souvenirs is called Handicraft Market, near Chiang Kai Shek Memorial. We made I think the fifth walk to the MRT terminal at Yungan Market. I wouldn't trust myself to find it alone, but it wasn't bad with a leader. My goal has been to avoid causing or participating in an accident on the street, and we have thus far been successful.

During the walk I chatted with Jon about the benefits of short-term trips like ours. Sandy and I have never been convinced of the benefits of expensive trips for a week or so. Jon reassured us that it will be beneficial in the long-term to all of us, and the field here. I think it's most beneficial when you know someone on the field like we do. It would be hard for me to get excited about showing up just anywhere without any established relationship with the workers there. But maybe that's just me.

11:00 a.m.: We wanted to spend a little more time with the Pagels, so they met us at the market, where we looked around a very nice gift store. Alex wanted his picture taken with this statue of something.

The advice from Jon and Scott was that the most expensive stuff is on the second floor and the least expensive stuff is in the basement. We headed downstairs. After loading up on goodies, we tried to move the nine children and 6 adults together out the door.


12:15 p.m. (11:15 p.m. Sunday night in Missouri): We walked down several block and crossed several streets, looking for Burger King. Burger King here tastes a lot like in America, but I can't get used to Coke Light (Diet Coke). It just doesn't taste right. The kids loved the Star Wars toy, and it was nice to have another taste of America. The manager spoke some chinese, and was very helpful. A super-sized Whopper combo was NT $114 (about $3.50 USD), which was very fair. One nice thing about the restaurants here in Taiwan is that you can buy one drink and then they give you little cups to share with your children. So we bought two drinks to take care of five people. Another thing I'll miss about Taiwan.

We said another goodbye to the Pagels, then snapped a picture of all the kids standing in front of Darth Vader. Some were happier than others.


Catching two taxis back, we drove 10 minutes back to the apartment. On the way, we drove past the Presidential Palace, one of the local tourist destinations we didn't get to visit. So much left here to do, but time's up. Maybe we'll have to come back again sometime.

Hanging around the house in the afternoon, Sandy seems a little restless. While the kids are playing, I'm typing, Jon is snoozing, and the ladies go shopping. They pick up Hello Kitty slippers for Anna, then go back for cold fruit drinks. One more taste of Taiwan before we leave.

3:00 pm: The kids are watching Transformers Energon (Chinese subtitles). All of a sudden, Jon and I negotiate an even trade of my new Sony Clie for his new Dell Axim. Apparently the Clie will run a program that will enable him to draw any Chinese character and have it defined. So I make the trade and quickly move stuff off of mine and onto his.

3:30 pm: Jon takes off on the scooter to pick up the van. We start moving bags downstairs. Everything fits easily, and we load up for the 40 minute drive to the airport. I see my first accident of the trip, right on the corner by his building. A taxi hit a scooter. A man in a shirt and tie is arguing with the taxi, parked right in the middle of the intersection. I speculate that the scooter must have caused it, but Amy says the taxis are usually at fault. They get a little aggressive sometimes. No one is hurt, apparently.

The kids are playing with Transformers and we have to stop for gas. 92 octane unleaded costs about $3 per gallon here, which is why most people either drive scooters or walk. Cars are tremendously difficult to afford because of high taxes, limited parking, and expensive fuel. Here's a nice bonus though: After spending about $45 on gas, we receive free bottled water from the gas station. 6 bottles, enough for all the kids and one for later.

The trip is uneventful, though Jon and I talk about their ministry in Taiwan and his class to teach in the Fall at Central. He's doing Personal Evangelism for us again, which is a required class, offered either throughout the semester or in a one week concentrated form.

4:40 pm: We arrive at the airport, which is much more peaceful than I'm sure Los Angeles will be in 14 hours. Time for goodbyes, and tears start to fall. Our kids are ready to get home, but sad to leave the Ralls'. Adam says, "I wish the Ralls' still lived in Moberly." He's not alone, but our wishes often have to be submitted to God's plan. I think Joshua is taking it the hardest, at least on the outside. They decide not to walk us into the airport, because there's really no place for them to go. So we load up the cart, pass around hugs, and walk away satisfied. An adventure still awaits us, and it will provide its own stories. But this part of the adventure has been tremendously satisfying. I'm sure I'll reflect more on it later.

5:00 pm: Security is a breeze. Everything's done, and I sit down at 5:30 pm with lots of time to wait for the plane. The Internet is hot here, which is good. Sandy and the kids look around at some neat stuff they can tell you about later

5:43 pm: Still waiting for the plane to board in 15 minutes. Here come 15 stewardesses in their green suits. I can't take a picture, because Sandy has my camera. She comes back for a credit card so she can buy another souvenir.

Next stop, LA.

Next time: The Longest Day, Part 2