Following the Finchers

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Friday night - Settling into the hotel

Sorry this is a bit out of order, but I thought you might like to know a bit about where we are staying.  It's called Traders Hotel, which seems to be a chain name in China, but I can't find the particular one we are staying at anywhere online.  Maybe I can Google Earth it later to show you where it's at.

It is owned by a man who is a good friend of CRAM, has a market in Hunchun and appreciates the fact that Americans come over to help with the work there.  The rooms are fairly small, with two single beds and an amazing amount of furniture.  There's more furniture in the 250 square foot room than you can imagine.  That makes it fairly crowded to put your suitcases somewhere, but we managed.  The A/C wouldn't work and the lady at the desk couldn't understand what I was asking, so we just opened the window to get some fresh air.  The outside noise wasn't too bad and the cool air (about 45 degrees last night) actually felt pretty refreshing.

Matt McRoberts and I tried to get the Internet set up, but it was spotty at best.  I brought a router so that we could have wireless, but I couldn't make mine work.  Saturday morning, he found someone else's  wireless signal, but I couldn't get it on my computer.  I could plug in to the ethernet, though, and make Skype and Google work.  That was enough to get me through the first few hours.  I called Sandy on Skype as soon as I figured out how to make it work and talked to her while she was still at preschool.  After sleeping 4 hours on a very small, hard bed, I was up early and called to talk to the kids, where it was Friday night there.  We video chatted over Skype, which worked very nicely.  I think the kids were glad to see me and it was nice to see their familiar faces as well.

Well, I think that catches me up on writing.  I'll get the pictures organized and posted later so you can see some of the things I've been talking about.